Monday, March 17, 2008

Go Green! Exercise-wise...


In honor of St. Patty's day I'm challenging you all to go green, and by that I mean turn off your treadmills, power down your ellipticals, turn off your TV's and get outside! After a long winter here in Utah, i couldn't be happier to finally see the sunshine and have the temperature warm enough to be able to workout outside again. I was speaking to one of my clients the other day about how she was going to get her cardio in while being away from home with no gym access. After asking her how she could make it possible while away, she made me laugh by remarking, "Heaven forbid i actually got outside and used one of those, what do they call them??...sidewalks??" I laughed because its been so cold that hasn't even been an option. BUT what a great option it is. There are so many reasons why i promote getting outside and working out. First and foremost...you have to get home. There is no stop button. More than likely you'll go further. You are forced to work with the terrain. Inclines, declines, curbs, wind resistance...all forcing you to burn more calories. Outside you are more likely to pump those arms instead of grabbing on to handrails. More movement = more calories burned. I'm a people watcher so being outside also takes my attention away from the fact that I'm working out. Finish out your outdoor workout with some resistance training... walking lunges, push ups, triceps dips on a bench or chair, squats in place, the plank, crunches, etc... Aside from the benefits of exercise you'll benefit from the sunshine as well! Sunshine increases your Seratonin levels and can increase Vitamin D production; lightening your mood, strengthening your bones, and increasing your health all over. I don't know about you, but I say bring on the sunshine!

4 comments:

Nichole Barney said...

Meg I am excited to run with you guys outside here. It has been so nice! We ran up at the ranch in the cold up hill and it was a killer. I thought of you guys running in Utah. I think the elevation is going to kick our Arizona butts at the race.

Jason and Kimber said...

Hey I found your blog! I haven't seen you um since high school. Just wanted to say hi. Looks like you are doing great.

Jason and Kimber said...

Sorry our blog is jasonandkimber.blogspot.com--lets keep in touch

The Smith Clan said...

Megan, I love your blog. Keep it coming! WE need all the encourangement we can get! You're amazing! I love running outside! Even in the heat!It was so fun to run with you guys! Keeps me on my toes. Love Mom