Saturday, April 26, 2008

My Mama Cita's Black Bean Salsa


This is a great healthy recipe that my mom makes. I crave it! It really is so good, and full of fresh healthy veggies! This is great served with any Mexican dish, overtop grilled chicken, with pita chips or whole grain tortilla chips. (You can find these at Costco and they are delicious!)

1 (15-oz.) can black beans drained ad lightly rinsed
1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernals (3 cobs)
2 medium tomatoes, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
1 red bell pepper, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
1 green pepper, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
1/2 cup finely chopped red onions1-2 fresh green serrano peppers (chopped seeds and all)
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/3 cup virgin olive oil
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground red chile pepper or pinch of cayenne pepper
*I remember my mom putting avocado in it as well, but for some reason it wasn't listed on her recipe. I'll try to get that figured out!

mix in a large bowl and chill untill serving time.

I don't have exact nutrition facts on this recipe, but from what I could find it should have around 80 calories for 1/3 cup. :)

2 comments:

The Smith Clan said...

qgnwcwkbMegan, I do put avacado's in it. But I think the original recipe does not. But avacados are just so good in it. Love this recipe. That is so funny Dad made Guacamole today, and I was just thinking how good black bean salsa sounded too! Love Mom

Nichole Barney said...

Luv that salsa!! What is that language mom put before your name? I need your new blog so I can check it out! The left side of your blog isnt showing up for some reason!