Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Forgive me little Nemo


As I was browsing through some of my favorite healthy recipe websites today I skipped over several fish recipes...yep i did just that...skipped over them. Like I always do. I, myself, am not a fish lover. In fact, I hate it. I know, it's SO good for you. (I tell my clients that frequently.) I wished I liked it, I really do. But the fact of the matter is I don't. I do, however, realize that my fishless way of living shouldn't deter me from reminding all y'all that fish is great :)
So, here it is. Fish is great. It really is...here's why.

- It is high in protein
- When prepared well it's lower in calories than most protein sources
- It's full of heart healthy omega 3's! (this will increase the good cholesterol in your body, and can reduce inflammation)
- There is a LOT of variety in eating fish... as opposed to chicken. Which is always just...well, chicken.

There has been a lot of talk as to the mercury content in fish. From what i've found the benefits outweigh the risks. This tends to be a problem with people who are eating fish more than twice a week. The larger, older fish such as shark, swordfish, king mackerel, and tilefish tend to have a higher content of mercury. Those found on the lower end of the mercury spectrum are shrimp, pollock, canned light tuna, salmon, and catfish, are better choices.
Another thing to be aware of when chomping down on our little finned friends is the preparation of the fish you're eating. A very healthy low-cal option can be turned into a high calorie, high fat meal quickly when it's deep fried or served with a calorie dense cream sauce.

Since I'm no fish expert I'd love to hear how you like to eat it. Any great grilling ideas, or marinades? Some tips from you fish experts would go over swimmingly with our readers ;)

4 comments:

Devri said...

Hey I need your email address so I can send you an invite to our blog. Send me an email or leave me a comment. Thanks!

The Smith Clan said...

Hey I love most fish. Dad has become such an expert at fixing it. I swear if you would just taste it, it is better than chicken!! Love salmon bar-b-qued!

Jessica said...

Salmon is our favorite and we grill it most of the time. We have several different preps that we use. We love lemon and dill on it. We also really like Emeril's essence on it, and another one that I have really come to enjoy is some pesto spread on top.

We have also tried several spice rubs, which are great. You just brush it with a tiny bit of olice oil and then put the rub on. It makes me want to eat some for dinner tonight!

Jessica said...

um, yeah, that was supposed to be Olive oil!