Sunday, November 21, 2010

This is funny right?

Those advertisers can be pretttty creative. Yesterday we we somehow ended up watching The Food Network with some show about Thanksgiving hosted by Marc Summers. You know, the host of Double Dare, circa the early 1990's. (Don't ask, I have no idea how we ended up there...) Anyways, they were talking about vegetables, and they showed this ad. 
I thought it was pretty funny...

This morning I was up at 7:00 AM, which is far too early for a girl who doesn't have to be at church until 1:30. Once I was up there was no going back to sleep, so naturally I decided to bake. I had some has-been bananas on my counter screaming to be concocted into something, so I decided to make a low-fat banana chocolate chip muffin recipe to take to my meeting before church. I've made it before but it's been a while. 

Low Fat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

 (One day I will stop taking pictures with my phone and actually use a real camera...one day.)

3 very ripe bananas, mashed 
1.5 Tbsp olive oil 
1/3 cup applesauce 
3/4 cup sugar 
1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt 
1 egg 
2 egg whites 
1/3 cup wheat germ 
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour 
1/2 tsp baking powder 
1/2 tsp baking soda 
3 oz. mini chocolate chips

Directions: Preheat your oven to 350. Mix together the wet ingredients, then add the dry, adding the chocolate chips last. Fill muffin tins 3/4 way full. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until they pass the toothpick test. Allow to cool before serving. I actually don't love the olive oil in this recipe. Although it provides for some good, "healthy fats," I think it could be omitted, and instead increase the applesauce a bit. I also sprinkled a little mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon on top for a little sweet topping.

I also made a batch of not-so-low-fat pumpkin chocolate chip muffins because I know everyone doesn't always love the healthy treats I force on them. JK...usually people have no idea...muahahahahaah...(evil laugh.) I opted out of posting the pumpkin chocolate chip recipe out of fear that you'd make them, and eat the entire batch. I swear they are THAT good. So, if you want it, let me know, and I'll email it to you anonymously. ;) For the record...I still healthified the recipe. I can't not. Applesauce, egg whites, whole wheat flour, the usual, but it still didn't pass my post-able test. Like I said, they're dangerous. Both the banana and the pumpkin were a hit, so there is proof that foods don't have to be fattening to be enjoyed. 

p.s. I'm watching Home Alone right now. How funny is this movie? Sheesh...I love it.
p.p.s. I feel like I'm posting lots of recipes lately. What is it about the fall that just makes me want to bake all the time?

2 comments:

The Smith Clan said...

My goodness you little baker!! Way to go! I love your healthified recipes. Wait a mintue - did you just make up that word! You can bake all week for us! OK?

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

Girl you are hilarious! You will send it anonymously!!! I loved the evil laugh! Why were you up so early? You make the best baked goods ever!