Sunday, January 16, 2011

sandwich bread...greetings from the waiting room...

I had great intentions for a post today with a new fun healthy recipe. However, on my way to church today my darling friend roxanne called me saying she didn't feel so well. After she described her not-so-swell symptoms I decided we should hit up the urgent care. 6 hours later we've been relocated to the hospital for a CT scan and we haven't made much progress in the form of what is wrong...oh good times at the hospital.

I hadn't had anything to eat since my oatmeal breakfast this morning, so at about 4 I decided to check out the hospital cafeteria. (I usually eat every three-four hours, so I was dying.) I skipped over the chicken fingers, hamburgers, and french fries and saw a turkey sandwich as my only possible option. The worker behind the counter seemed less than thrilled to be working...I don't blame her...I wouldn't want to work on a sunday either. Our conversation made me realize that we have a long way to go in the form of healthy food knowledge.

Me: hi. I was wondering what kind of bread your turkey sandwich was made on.

Sassy-pants worker: sandwich bread.

Me: oohhh kaaay... Like, is it white bread? Or wheat bread?

SP: yeah. (Frown)

Me: ok...

SP: (staring...frowning...sound of crickets)

Me: I guess I'll have that.

The sandwich was in fact on white wonderbread. Good to know that is termed "sandwich bread." Who doesn't know what wheat bread is. I took off the top piece of bread and piled what was left on one side to cut down on the white bread. Like I said I was hungry. Reeeeaal hungry. Luckily I found a side of fresh veggies to devour along side it. Oh, the hospital...

12 comments:

Karen R said...

LOL! Don't you hate exchanges where the person behind the counter talks down to you and act like YOU are dumb?

I had a situation with the guy behind the counter at a donut shop yesterday (donuts not for me!). I was like "OMG - chocolate or white cake donuts are really not all that serious!" :)

Shannon said...

That's pretty sad when someone doesn't know the difference between white and wheat, or even know what kind of bread it used to make the sandwiches.

Also, I waitress at the restaurant of a trout fishing resort. It was my first job, and I've actually only ever had one other job. yes, my resume is lacking.

Mars said...

LOL wow...sad. Glad you found something semi healthy. I will find that salad recipe for you and send it soon! I tore it out of one of my magazines so I need to see if it's in my recipe book :) Happy Sunday!

Stephanie said...

I was eating a salad one day when a woman sitting near me just out of nowhere proclaims that she would never eat my salad because it didn't contain *real lettuce* I looked at her confused because it DID have lettuce. Green leaf, red leaf and spring greens. I told her that and she said that they weren't really lettuce. The REAL lettuce is that iceberg stuff. She honestly didn't know there was lettuce besides iceberg. :(

COLORADOctor said...

Oh I have been burned one too many times by the hospital caf. Hence my cute lunchbox lol.

Unknown said...

oh man, thats classic cafeteria talk, right? I sometimes go into shock when people don't even know the difference. We really need to educate our society on NUTRITION! eek!
LC

The Smith Clan said...

Is Roxy OK? What a Sunday!

Lived With Love said...

great blog :)

Nicole said...

It's sad that there aren't healthy food choices in a hospital, when it seems to me that there should be an abundance.
I hope everything ends up being ok with your friend. Urgent care and hospitals are no fun, you're a great friend for sticking it out.

amanda said...

Ah, as a hospital employee, I say welcome to our world.
I work 12 night shifts in a hospial where cafeteria closes at 9pm. I try very hard to bring my own lunch. But sometimes, I need to get downstairs before they close to grab a salad (we have a limited salad bar, but there is baby spinach <3) or green beans.
I'm glad you don't have to go through that everyday.
Hope your friend is ok.

Unknown said...

Wow. Unfortunately that doesn't surprise me. I've had those moments where I've asked either my server or the person at the counter about certain ingredients and they have no idea what I am talking about. They look at me like I am crazy and wonder why the heck I care so much.

How is your friend?

I MUST eat every couple hours or I become a monster. It's bad, but I really can't help it!! I become crazy kate and nobody likes to be around me.

Jaeme + Randy said...

Haha oh welcome to my work! This is why I always bring my own lunch, there is nothing but junk in the cafeteria and money wise it adds up QUICK to eat there everyday. Also, I try to only eat out 1 maybe 2 times a week and I definitely don't want the hosptial food to count as that for the week. I have worked at the same hospital for over 2 years and I have never eaten in the cafeteria for those reasons. Food from home is always tastier anyways!