Saturday, February 12, 2011

82 degrees please.

I promise I'm not trying to gloat. I just absolutely can't believe how beautiful it is here. I am smiling ear to ear because it's just so astoundingly beautiful.

I went for an 8 mile run this morning, and the weather was incredible. I am so used to gray skies and layers of clothing that I had to get out there. These gives me hope that spring may actually come to Utah. Maybe?
I enjoyed a protein shake for lunch when I got back from my run. 
- 1 cup of ice
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (I like Biochem)
- 1/2 cup blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries
- 1/2 small banana
- 1 big dash of cinnamon (this is the money maker)
Blend it all up. So very good. It rings in at about 250 calories and 25 grams of protein. 

One of my favorite things to do when I come home, one of the 50, is to bake in my mom's kitchen. She has awesome appliances, every ingredient you need, and all the good utensils. AND we cook well together. She always lets me help her, and is up for my healthy substitutions. It's awesome. My mom had tried a recipe earlier in the week for these yummy protein balls which she liked, but thought could use some tweaking. We decided to make some adjustments, and try them again. They turned out REALLY delicious, and I think they are a great treat for your kiddies.

No Bake Peanut Butter Protein Balls
Ingredients: 
2 cups of oatmeal
2 cups of brown puffed rice cereal (these are brown rice, rice krispies)
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1 cup protein powder
15 oz natural peanut butter
1/2 cup honey or agave
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips

Directions: First grind the oatmeal in a blender or food processor so it turns into an oatmeal flour, but leave a little bit of texture.
In a microwave save bowl combine the PB and the honey and nuke it for 20 seconds. Add the rest of the ingredients to the PB/Honey mixture and stir until well combined. It should look a lil' something like this...

Form small balls out of the mixture and voila. You are done. 
Place balls in a covered container that can be refrigerated. They don't have to be refrigerated, but they will keep better/longer that way. This recipe makes 56 balls.

The Stats: (for one ball) 96 calories, 5 grams of fat (1 of those saturated), 8.5 grams of carbs, 2 grams of fiber, 3.7 grams of sugar and 4 grams of protein.

My mom and I finished our day with some shopping, and MAN it makes me tired sometimes. It was a good tired though. I love the feeling that you've been moving and walking around all day. I am a big fan of accidental exercise like that. What is your best form of accidental exercise? I am sure lots of you chase kids all day, and THAT has got to be a workout in and of itself. Do you like cooking with your mom or anybody else? or are you a "too many cooks in the kitchen" type person.

6 comments:

Rene said...

I am with you on the weather thing. It's GLORIOUS in North Texas and I went on a 5 mile run. Something about sunny and warm weather soothes my soul. The protien balls look delish. Of course I'd probably eat ten. The last time I had accidental exercise was when I played Kinnect with the fam. My arms were sore the next day.

Jenn said...

There is nothing better than running when the weather is perfect! Your shake and those balls look delish!! I need to go buy a few ingredients but they look good!!

I wish I was home baking with my momma too! :)

Jenn said...

I'm jealous of your beautiful weather although for once I can't complain-it's very mild here now! I want to complain now simply because I can't complain.....I have issues....

Thankyou for the prayers for Theo. Greatly appreciated:)

If I make those PB balls, I guarantee I would NEVER be able to stay out of them.

My favorite form of accidental exercise is skating. I go to the rink for open skating just planning to get on the ice with the kids and move in slow circles. Nope, I'm a BIG kid and I need to involve myself in games like pom pom pullaway in which I end up with my cheek to the ice gasping because I have NO fast twitch muscles. Fun just the same:)

Hope you're having a great Sunday:)

Mara Campbell said...

Yeah for nice weather! We were in the 80's yesterday and it was amazing. I had to scramble to find the sunscreen for my kids baseball practices.

Those protein balls look yummy, I have a hard time getting my kids to eat anything with protein (we are not big meat eaters) so I am going to try this. They would love them.

And I love to bake with my mom and sister and anybody else. It's one of my favorite things to do!

OneLoveSarah said...

shopping is my favorite form of accidental exercise! Keep enjoying the warmness!

Anonymous said...

Press the Shift key after selecting your iPhone
and then click recover iPhone. There are a few disadvantages for this method of ipad printing.
Work the Nature jailbreak application.

Feel free to surf to my web site; cydia themes