Saturday, August 27, 2011

Buying Fresh and Local

Today after the gym Benita and I hit up the local Provo Farmers Market. I have been wanting to go all summer, but I finally made it there today. There were so many fresh fruits and vegetables I was in LOVE. 
We walked up and down the rows of fresh produce, fresh bread, and all sorts of other knick knacks that people come up with. It was a beautiful sunny day which made our outing just about perfect. Don't worry that I manage to parade around in my sweaty gym clothes all day. I am still loving my Soffe Tank btw. 
 
I think I will definitely be visiting the Farmers Market every Saturday until the fall when the harvest is over. How can you pass up goods like this?
 Especially when they make buying organically grown foods so cheap and easy. 
You should most definitely check to see where the closest local farmers market is to your home. You will not regret it. Some of the benefits of buying local...
- Freshness. When you are buying local you know you are getting produce at the peak of it's freshness, and not after sitting in a refrigerated truck for days. 
- Maximum nutrient content. Because your produce is extremely fresh, you will be getting the maximum amount of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. The longer produce sits the less nutrients it contains. 
- The price is right. Usually you are getting awesome fresh produce at a great price, especially for the quality of what you're buying.
- You can branch out. When you have the opportunity to buy fresh produce in single form you may be more likely to try some new things. When you are picking from what is in season and being offered you might have your eyes opened to something new and delicious. 
- You may be able to get organic goods. Depending on your farmers market, there may be farmers with organic produce at a great price. THAT is awesome. 
 Benita came away with some fresh and delicious peaches. 
For the local Utahn's the Provo Farmers Market is held at Pioneer Park. Click HERE for more info. 
 I came away with a delicious zucchini (that I plan on using to make some of my fave zucchini cookies with), and some fresh tomatoes....probably my favorite thing about fresh produce. I miss having my parents garden to go tomato crazy. I already ate one. It was as good as I'd hoped. 
 By this time Benits and I had been walking around looking at food for too long and we were STARVING. Benits is moving to SLC this week :( Sad. Yes. I don't want to talk about it...BUT, we decided we'd better hit up our favorite lunch spot one more time before she went. 
 Yes, you guessed it. The Pizza Factory. 
 Don't worry that our waitress walked up to our table and said, "The usual?"
Right she was. 
Now, tell me that isn't an impressive balancing act? A boatload of veggies. I loved every bite of it. I'm going to miss our Saturday gym sessions followed by PF lunch with my Benits. I reaalllly am. 

Do you ever shop at your local farmers market? I think it is something EVERYONE should do. Good produce is just the tops. It really is. What is your favorite "garden fresh" food? Mine is definitely tomatoes! hmmm...and peaches.

6 comments:

Elle said...

We do the local farmers' markets wherever we happen to be. Love to get the freggies as fresh as possible and support the local food growers and economy as well.

My usual finds are yellow and green zukes, corn on the cob, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Later in the year it will be squashes - can hardly wait.

Rene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I have been so lazy about finding a local farmer's market and with the drought we've been in I haven't even bothered this summer. Those veggies look divine.

Anonymous said...

Oh I LOVE going to the Farmers Market!!! I buy fresh herbs, tomatoes, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, bread, peaches, corn, and everything else!

oakleyses said...

jimmy choo outlet, ugg boots, new balance shoes, birkin bag, vans shoes, soccer jerseys, canada goose, north face jackets, chi flat iron, mcm handbags, canada goose uk, insanity workout, ugg pas cher, asics running shoes, instyler, nike huarache, p90x, giuseppe zanotti, bottega veneta, valentino shoes, nike roshe run, ferragamo shoes, canada goose, moncler, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, hollister, nfl jerseys, soccer shoes, longchamp, mont blanc, mac cosmetics, ugg australia, lululemon outlet, ugg, babyliss pro, rolex watches, canada goose outlet, marc jacobs, north face outlet, celine handbags, ugg boots, ghd, reebok outlet, wedding dresses, beats by dre, canada goose, uggs outlet, canada goose jackets

oakleyses said...

hollister, air max, air max, moncler, juicy couture outlet, supra shoes, pandora charms, wedding dresses, gucci, baseball bats, coach outlet store online, vans, parajumpers, pandora jewelry, lancel, hollister clothing store, ugg, ray ban, thomas sabo, oakley, montre homme, moncler, canada goose, converse, moncler, timberland boots, swarovski, juicy couture outlet, pandora charms, links of london, moncler outlet, karen millen, ugg, iphone 6 cases, louboutin, louis vuitton, rolex watches, swarovski crystal, canada goose, converse shoes, moncler, moncler, ralph lauren, toms shoes, hollister