Friday, May 18, 2012

Fit Facts Friday

Happy Friday! I hope your day has been amazing. I did my twenty miler today, and it went really well! I set out to do it outside, and there was a lot of fickle rain going on. I am a bit of a weather/running snob, so I opted to start inside with hopes that the weather might clear up, and I could take it to the streets. The weather did no such thing, and it was 20 miles on the treadmill. I can promise you that a LOT of people came and went beside me while I entertained myself with just about anything I could think of. Television, music, people watching, etc. I was more than stoked when it was over, but it really did go well. My back/rib is pretty dang sore as the day goes on, but I have iced it and hopefully that will help! Here's to tapering. Let me tell you...I love a good taper.

Because it's Friday...here are is some fun fitness factual food for thought. That was a lot of f's...

- Each muscle fiber in your body is thinner than a hair, but can support more than 1,000 times it's own weight. That is pretty dang amazing, and goes to show that we underestimate our potential strength.

- Between the time you are born and the time you die, you will walk about 70,000 miles.

- Oreo's are the best selling cookie in the world. For just three Oreo's you'll be taking in about 7 grams of fat and 160 calories. You should just eat some Low Fat Zuchinni Cookies instead. 
  • Serving size: About 3 cookies
  • Fat: 7 grams
  • Calories: 160 (about 50 calories per Oreo)


  • - Fauja Singh is the oldest person to complete a marathon, doing so at age 100. He completed the Toronto marathon in eight hours, 25 minutes, and 16 seconds. What's even cooler...he took up running at age 89, and trained for his race by running 10 miles a day. No more excuses about being too old to do something!

    - Usain Bolt is currently the fastest man in the world, holding the world record of a 9.58 100 meter sprint.
    - The United States has won more medals (2,189) at the Summer Games than any other country. AWESOME. I am obsessed with the Olympics. I will cry a minimum of 5 times while watching the games in London this summer. I just LOVE watching people who push themselves and achieve such incredible things. 

    -Bananas are not only tasty, but they are also a natural antacid. They can soothe heartburn and gastric distress.

    - The worst "Healthy" smoothie in America comes from The Smoothie King You may want to avoid the Smoothie King Skinny Cranberry Supreme (40 oz) with 908 calories it has 146 grams of sugar. YIKES. 

    I hope your weekend is full of fun! Do you love the Olympics as much as I do? I seriously am STOKED for them. I will probably watch more TV during the Olympics than during the rest of the year combined! Do you like Oreo's? I feel like there are better cookies out there... just saying...


    1 comment:

    Merediths said...

    I beg to differ on your banana comment...
    They give me heartburn worse than ANYTHING else. Caused acid reflux in my kids too.
    I wish your statement were true- 'Cause I love a good banana!